Trinity United Methodist Charge
Sunday, May 09, 2021

Philippi UMC About Us

About Us


The Philippi United Methodist Church had its beginning in the 1890's.  It was at that time, the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.  A formal organization took place in 1896, when J. K. Simmons, W. R. Cunningham, and A. D. Trimble were elected Trustees and they purchased a lot on the corner of Walnut and Cross streets, on which a building was erected.  After the completion of the building, services were held regularly on that site, until the present structure was erected.  The First Church of the Nazarene now occupy this building.

In 1946, at the union of the Evangelical Church and the United Brethren in Christ Church, the Philippi church became the Evangelical United Brethren Church.  In 1968, another merger took place with the Methodist Church and we became known as the Philippi United Methodist Church.

During the pastorate of Rev. Roy McCoy in 1949, it was realized that a new and larger church building was needed, so a building fund was established.  In 1955, the lot on the corner of Walnut and Mason street was purchased and a new building was erected.  The committee for the laying of the cornerstone included James Corder, Chairman; Marie Corder, Mr. & Mrs. Frank Poling, Mr. and Mrs. William Woodford, and the Rev. Fred Luzader.  This event took place on November 4th 1962.  The Dedication Service was on May 26th, 1963.  Among those sharing in this service was, the pastor at that time, Rev. Fred Luzader and three former pastors, who helped in the planning and fund-raising for the new structure.  The three former pastors were Rev. Roy McCoy, Rev. Howard Wilfong, and Rev. Keith Day.  The Building committee consisted of Robert England, Chairman; James Corder, Robert Summers, Frank Poling, Roy Casto, Robert Marteney, W. R. Kelly, W. H. Woodford, Stanley Harsh, E. A. Lutz, James Stemple, Neville Zinn, and Rev. Fred Luzader.